How To Compose A PowerShell Module With Multiple Script Files

The internet's missing how-to guide!

All I wanted was something I take for granted as a C# developer: the ability to create a PowerShell module that's composed of multiple script files - one for each function - instead of putting every function in a single `.psm1` file. It's actually a simple thing to accomplish, and yet it's *unbelievably* difficult to find a tutorial that explains *how* to do it. This article seeks to fill that void and save future googlers all the time I sunk into research, trial, and error. [Read More]

A Pain-Free Guide To Installing Web Deploy

I've had several less-than-stellar experiences installing Web Deploy in the past. Next time I go through this, I decided many months ago, I'm taking notes! 'Next time' turned out to be earlier this week. This article is the result of the notes I took during that trial-and-error session. [Read More]

Getting Logi Info Studio To Play Nice With Git & CI/CD

A look at some basic limitations with Logi Analytics' IDE

In recent weeks I've become intimately acquainted with Logi Analytics' IDE, called Logi Info Studio. I haven't yet used it enough to have a strong sense of Logi's platform as a whole, but there are definitely two aspects of developing with Info Studio which I've found outmoded: it is neither terribly source control friendly nor very well suited for continuous integration/deployment environments. [Read More]

Installing SSL Certificates On Webfaction

A Guide For N00bs

Like so many other things, getting your site running over HTTPS is easy… once you know how. If you’ve never done it before, well, it’s not necessarily a straight shot from A to B. Here I describe exactly how to quickly and easily get the S into HTTPS for a site hosted on Webfaction - my preferred web host. Much of this information probably applies to other web hosts as well - but no promises there. [Read More]

New SqlConnection() Hangs When IIS Express Has Been Idle

And an entire day is lost trying to debug it

About a week ago I was happily working away on an ASP.NET Web API project when I noticed something fishy happening. And by “fishy”, I mean incredibly, unbelievably, stupendously frustrating. When initially loaded, the application worked fine. Start the project, execute a command from Postman, get results. But after running for 8 or 10 minutes, results would suddenly stop coming back. It didn’t take long to figure out where it was failing, however why it was failing was another matter entirely. [Read More]